Environmental documentaries tend to be – *ahem*- a tad bleak. Rightfully so, we suppose. The truth about climate change, species extinction, and ecosystem collapse is dire. However, us long-time environmentalists at ESA tend to gravitate toward the films that offer a solution, that inspire, that spark action among viewers since we know only dropping the negative news makes folks feel hopeless and helpless. So here they are, our top 5 environmental films from the last few years for you to enjoy at home, socially distant, with the hope that they inspire you to take another step toward living sustainably and making a difference for our community, Colorado, and the planet.
- Kiss the Ground – We screened this in October and everyone agreed that this film offered quick, doable solutions to the climate crisis and inspired them to take action. We think you’ll love it!
- My Octopus Teacher – A profoundly moving film that will have you thinking differently about humanity and nature.
- The Need to Grow – Once again, it’s all about that soil! Full of innovative ideas to think differently about agriculture and energy conservation.
- Chasing Coral – The future of coral reefs and our oceans doesn’t look good, but if something as breathtaking as a coral reef doesn’t inspire you to take action, we don’t know what will!
- A Plastic Ocean – Another solution-filled film that helps us understand that although things might be grim, there are ways to solve the plastic pollution crisis.
Here’s a few more that you might be interested in, as well!
Enjoy and let us know what you think!